Squirrel Nut Zippers

I visited my family in Utah this last week. We saw Finding Dori, went to Maddox, did a garden tour, and finished the week off with a concert. The best part of Finding Dory was when Addie fell asleep in my lap and the best part of Maddox was raspberry butter. The garden tour was a fun adventure led by my sister. It was a bittersweet time knowing that it was the last time I'd be able to do these things while I attend medical school across the country for the next four years.

The concert was the perfect way to top of the week. Squirrel Nut Zippers was performing. They have a New Orleans jazzy sound that keeps you constantly moving. If you haven't listened to them I'd strongly encourage you give them a listen. Lexi (my cute wife) said there wasn't a single song she didn't like (this is the woman who was listening to jazz and said, "My ears don't like these sounds."). Not only was the music good, but it was just fun to be there. It was a people watcher's paradise with dancing everywhere.
Did you know Squirrel Nut Zippers is a candy?
The concert started off with a warm up act by Chris Croce (who was in the Crescent Super Band with me some years ago) supported by local high school graduates while people filtered in. As the Squirrel Nut Zippers began playing one lady started doing some very  jazzy abstract dancing. As my mom leaned toward me and suggested she might be some sort of jazz stripper she ripped off her jacket. It's with great relief that I report she was not a jazz stripper and only startled us by taking off one more layer. As the band kept swinging the crowd kept getting more excited. To the right of the stage there was a group of older individuals that were dancing up a storm. It was like spring break met a bunch of grandparents that had a child named footloose. We saw one old dude fly into a somersault and pop up like a jack in the box to finish it off. 

I was slightly less adventurous and just asked Lexi to dance. She was cold (or some other excuse) and didn't want to dance, so I danced with my aunt Laurel. Turns out all those years of playing saxophone meant that I spent years not dancing. I was bad, but Laurel kindly put up with me anyway. Even My grandma Karen started dancing. Some kids got up and danced on stage with the singer at the end. It was a huge party and the perfect ending to a great week. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making a Brain Template

Preparing for the MCAT

Align and Bias Correct Your Brain!